Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do What You Love!

I am an elementary art teacher with about 500 students K-6! I graduated in 2005 from the University of Evansville with a degree in Elementary Education and went back later to add on my middle school Visual Arts endorsement. My first year of teaching was at Delaware Elementary teaching third grade in Evansville, Indiana. Next, I moved to Newburgh, Indiana to teach art at 2 elementary schools with a stint teaching fourth grade, as well.  In the past I have also worked as a Title I math aide. Three years ago, I came full circle back to Delaware as the art teacher and have been here ever since!


I love art and I love teaching...so it would seem that I have the perfect job for me! I believe that in order to truly be successful in your job, it helps if you actually LOVE what you do.  Lucky me! Delaware Elementary is an Equity School in the EVSC and we have an extended school year, as well as and extended school day. The extra class time allows our students to have not only gym, art, and music, but also technology, Lego engineering, and Spanish classes.  We are lucky enough to have many technology resources at our school such as class sets of netbooks, iPads, iPod touches, Promethean boards in all rooms, among others.  We do not have textbooks anymore and we utilize these resources daily! I am pursuing a Master's degree in elementary education with an emphasis in technology for this reason.  While most of the art we work on in my class is hands on with art supplies, there are many ways to incorporate technology into my lessons.  I am hoping to learn more about the resources available and how to expand my students' knowledge base for art.  


At this point, somewhat early in my career, I'm not sure I truly see myself moving out of the classroom because I love it so much.  There may be a time later that I feel differently but for right now, I am doing what I love!



No comments:

Post a Comment